Sunday, June 3, 2012

First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo Series) (Wool) by Hugh Howey

Book Description: In 2007, the Center for Automation in Nanobiotech (CAN) outlined the hardware and software platform that would one day allow robots smaller than human cells to make medical diagnoses, conduct repairs, and even self-propagate.

In the same year, the CBS network re-aired a program about the effects of propranolol on sufferers of extreme trauma. A simple pill, it had been discovered, could wipe out the memory of any traumatic event.

At almost the same moment in humanity’s broad history, mankind had discovered the means for bringing about its utter downfall. And the ability to forget it ever happened.



Review: 4 of 5 Stars

I recently read the Wool Omnibus which was so good it just blew me away. So I immediately headed back out to purchase the sixth volume in the story. Mr. Howey is very talented and overall I enjoyed the story; however, it wasn't as gripping as the ones before and some of the plot seemed a little off or perhaps unlikely so I wasn't drawn into the story as completely as with the previous volumes in the story. I'm not at all saying I didn't enjoy the read. It was interesting and I very much enjoyed it. Mr. Howey is an excellent writer and has some really interesting ideas. I will most definitely read Wool 7 when it comes out. I'm intrigued and completely sucked into the story, but I think the real story lies in what will happen to the people struggling to survive in the silos and how they can improve their world rather than how they got there. To me, it seems that is where the real human drama is taking place and I think I would have rather seen those in the silos discovering and coming to grips with the truth of how it all happened than to go back and see it played out. Of course, that's just my opinion and it's easy to say how you would have like to see things go from the perspective of a reader. Anyway, altogether a good read and a must for anyone who has enjoyed the previous installments in the Wool series. I very much look forward to reading the next installment in the series.

5 comments:

  1. I agree... I can understand Hugh's interest in a prequel, as there are so many things to explore in how the WOOL world arose, but prequels can only ever end one way, where as with WOOL, there's the opportunity to continue the revolution.

    I'd love to see Hugh explore the conflict between silos, where one out of the 20(?) has broken free from past deception. How are the others going to counter that? Will they join them? Will they war against them? What is the human story, the tragedy and cost of being caught up in the middle of all that. Juliette would have had a honeymoon period with her silo, but after six months, has that worn off? Are other factors coming in to play? As the silos share some electrical energy, have the others shut that off, forcing hardship on the renegades? Is there any exploration of the outside world, those buildings in the distance? Does the renegade silo send out rescue parties to save those condemned to scrubbing, or to stand on the hilltops where they can be seen by others and upset the status quo? Is there an attempt to set up a top-side observation post? There's soooo much more of this world to explore.

    And once the local silo story plays out and we reach a resolution with this cluster of silos, what about the rest of the world. Has anyone else survived in makeshift shelters? NORAD? Perhaps other countries were better prepared, or had more time to prepare, and are now in the process of conquest, looking to harvest abandoned technology? Has anything adapted to survive, like mutant animals?

    WOOL has established a tantalizing fictional world, and Hugh's strengths are how he blends the human element into this extreme. I'd love to see the series continue chronologically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, one of the things I love about WOOL is that it's not trying to save the world or save the universe... I find those kind of stories unrealistic, whereas one girl fighting for justice for her murdered friend, trying to save one small patch of the world. That works for me... I thought that was the real strength of WOOL, some one fighting to overturn the hypocrisy that deceived them and their friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comments and intriguing questions. I can't wait to read the next installment.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good. It' probably wouldn't really be my first choice of book, but it does intrigue me. I might have to check this one out soon to see how I'd find it. :)

    New to your blog.
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd suggest starting with the Wool Omnibus since this is the prequel and is installment 6 in the series. I think you'd enjoy it more if you read the others first. :)

      Delete

All comments will be reviewed. That does not mean negative comments will not be posted. I am just interested in weeding out spam and comments with what would be considered truly offensive language. If you can state your likes and dislikes with that in mind, the posts will not be removed.