Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Serengeti by Peter Cawdron


Serengeti 
Blurb: Serengeti is the first of three novellas exploring alternatives to the Rare Earth Hypothesis in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

The Serengeti is a generation star-ship, venturing out above the Milky Way, searching for signs of alien intelligence. The crew discover far more about the nature of sentient life than they imagined possible.  


Review - 4 of 5 Stars:
I'd previously read Anomaly and had really enjoyed it. So, I was excited to read Serengeti. As I had hoped, Peter Cawdron did a good job writing Serengeti and it caught my interest right away. It suited me fine that it was heavy on science as it explored whether man should search for other life in the universe, among other things. I very much enjoy stories that make me think so the fact that it wasn't an action story did not bother me in the least. I especially liked that in addition to the scientific question being explored, it explored the reactions and feelings of the characters as they were faced with the reality of their small part in this ongoing project. There was plenty to think about. I'm also a sucker for a science fiction love story, even a heavily cerebral one. I read the whole thing in about two hours. I realize this novella is the first of the series, but it seemed as if it could have benefited from being expanded a bit more. I'm hoping that Mr. Cawdron will give us a little more story in the next one. I'm intrigued by what might have happened next. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed what I read and look forward to seeing the next one in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed. That does not mean negative comments will not be posted. I am just interested in weeding out spam and comments with what would be considered truly offensive language. If you can state your likes and dislikes with that in mind, the posts will not be removed.